In August of 1957, Dr. Keith Johnson, after having served two years in the U.S. Air Force, joined Dr. Jay Bennett at the Rushmore Animal Clinic on Sturgis Road near Black Hawk. After three years in that practice, Dr. Bennett wanted to sell Dr. Johnson the practice, but Dr. Johnson decided to strike out on his own. He had hoped to eventually start his own practice, and a friend told him of a piece of land on Jackson Boulevard that was for sale. He purchased the land, and began making plans to build Mt. View Veterinary Clinic.
Henry Hackett and Sons was hired as general contractor, and following Dr. Johnson’s design, obtained the services of Gerlach and Ebert Plumbing, Harry’s Electric, Whitaker and Mattson Heating and Air Conditioning and Ham Brother’s Masonry to complete the building. Dr. Johnson finished the floors and painting himself, and the clinic opened their doors for business on June 25th of 1961.
At the time of opening, there were only two other veterinary practices in Rapid City, and both were on the east side of town, Dr. James V. Norris and Dr. Roman Kurylas.
On July 31, 1996, after 39 years in Rapid City, Dr. Johnson retired and sold the practice to Dr. Lynne H. Mazzone. The location served the clinic well, but we quickly outgrew it and moved just up around the corner to our current location in the Jackson Boulevard Centre in 2004.
After a wonderful career of helping pets and their people, Dr. Mazzone started planning her retirement, and in November of 2015, she sold the hospital to Dr. Nick and Dr. Serena Heig. Dr. Erin Brown became the full-time veterinary, while Dr. Mazzone continued to care for her patients on a part-time basis, until a year later, when her retirement became official. The doctors and staff continue to provide the excellent medical care and client service that Mountain View Animal Hospital was founded on in June of 1961.